Chapter Ten - The Winner!
Amazingly enough, all you smart cookies got it right this week! Yes, the mystery writer was Tania Hutley. You can download Tania's FABO bookmark by clicking on the image.
You're all far too clever! Every single guesser was correct (although some accidentally managed to slip the letter 'n' into my last name). It was indeed me, lucky last, who wrote this week's chapter. I pulled one guesser's name out of a hat, and the winner of the "Guess The Author" prize this week is Ben Randhawa of Mt Eden, Auckland. Congratulations! I'll send a copy of Tough Enough to you, Ben. Hope you enjoy it!
I thought the chapters this week were excellent. It's wonderful to see how you all get better and better each week. Every author knows that no matter how many writing lessons you have, the one thing that is virtually guaranteed to make you a better writer is by doing lots of writing, and I think you guys are really proving this as your chapters get more impressive. Keep up the great work!
I thought the junior writers this week had especially made great improvements with your paragraphs. Splitting your stories up into paragraphs makes your stories SO much easier to read. Great job, juniors!
Story-wise, there was a lot to enjoy this week. Georgia's cliff-hanger ending (literally!) was great. So was the way Hayley featured the FABO writers in her story - Tania is a great name for an ambulance nurse, Hayley! Jessie had piranahas in her story. And I loved the way Alex used the Gorilla's point of view.
But the winner this week is Caroline Moratti, Year 7, Balmacewen Intermediate. I had to giggle at the way Mrs Jones was desperately whipping up cupcakes! Well done, Caroline, and a copy of my book Tough Enough is on its way to you.
Next week, you've got nine authors to choose from again, so the author may not be quite so easy to guess. Good luck! The FABO team just love to read your chapters, so please keep sending them to us.
- Tania Hutley
Chapter 10
Caroline Moratti, Year 7, Balmacewen Intermediate
Remy froze. He couldn't think straight. He knew Miranda had had the smock and ruined it, to say the least, but had he delivered it back to Mum? Remy massaged his head, trying to think back. If it was Mum, she was in danger, but if it was Miranda, he was in danger. Either way, Remy didn't like where this was going.
"Jellybeans and strawberry sauce! Where has she escaped to?" Too Cool shouted from the other end of the driveway, also discovering Mrs Jones disappearance.
Remy sprinted up the driveway, clutching the fabric in his hand.
"I found this."He explained, showing the material to the faires.
"A clue!" Agreed Ummm. "It must be from those...disgusting, rile...backstabbing...-"
"Yes, yes, we get the point! Meanwhile though, we are still without a ruby! Quick, we must make haste! The woman needs more cupcakes, and fast! We'll have to split up!" Too Cool interrupted.
"Yes, sir, yes, sir!" Grinned Remy, finding Too Cools military attitude funny. Remy quickly hurried to explore the blackened house, while the faires searched the garden.
It was smoky inside, and hard to breathe. Signs of the damage and war scene showed throughout the rooms;furniture tipped over, and even blood stains in some places.
But the more Remy explored, the more noise he could hear radiating from one of the rooms. Finally, as Remy approached the kitchen, he found the source of the clutter:
It was Mrs Jones.
Relief set in, as Remy dashed forwards, but then halted to a stop as he got a better look at her.
She was covered in gooey cupcake mixture, wildly whipping flour and sugar in a bowl. Sprinkles lay in her hair, and pink icing was splattered across her dress.
"Mrs Jones!" Remy shouted, alarmed.
"Ahhh..boy, here you are! Listen, I don't have much time! Put the mixture in the oven, will you? I've got to get cupcakes in me, or they're gonna cut me open!" Mrs Jones said, handing Remy a tray.
"Mrs Jones!" Remy tried again. "You've got to come with me!"
But Mrs Jones ignored him, stuffing cooking chocolate in her mouth.
"Mrs Jones!! Please, we've got better cupcakes than you! Just come with me!" Remy coaxed, tugging on her apron.
"No, no time! Listen, do you have any explosives at hand? I think I might need some C4 to blow this baby open!" She said.
"Mrs Jones!" Remy repeated again, shocked at her behaviour.
"I need cupcakes, boy! None of this chitchatting when I'm about to be cut open! Feed me!! Bake, whatever!!" Mrs Jones screamed.
Suddenly the oven door blew open, and the heat wave blew Remy and Mrs Jones backwards into the wall. But Mrs Jones crawled forward, into the oven, and reached out and grabbed the burnt dough, stuffing it into her mouth.
"Oww! Ow, ow!!" She screamed with pain.
Remy ran and grabbed the phone off the wall, and dialed 111.
"Yeah, ambulance? Yeah....yeah, I think we need two now."
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home